Thursday 3 January 2013

Greyhound snood







Greyhound snood pattern overall length depends on size of your hound, generally 10 - 14 inches...


Using 4.5 mm needles, Cast on 84 sts join in the round making sure you don't twist the stitches place marker (pm)

Round 1: K2,P2, to marker.
Continue working rounds in K2 P2 Rib till work measures 4inches from the total desired length then knit lead hole row...

Lead hole row 1: K2, P2 till last 4 sts. Then turn work.

Lead hole row 2: work sts as they sit to continue the rib pattern.

Repeat these two rows 3more times. (4 times in total)

Next row: K2, P2, rib to the end of round, (this will close the top of the hole).
Continue in rib till work measures 2 inches shorter than final length.

Change to larger needles 5mm. ( this helps widen the last section to allow for sitting well on the shoulders...

Continue in established Rib till work is desired length.

Cast off loosely.

Sew in ends.

If you want to strengthen lead hole you can blanket stitch around the hole to give a stronger edge.

8 comments:

  1. Can you explain to this beginner how to do the Lead Hole row 1 & 2? Not exactly understanding the knit till last 4 stiches, then turn work. I'm knitting in the round. Should I switch to straight needles? I'm making this for a friend who has a greyhound and since we live in Canada poor thing needs to have something to cover her ears. Thanks for the free pattern. I'm just up to the point where I have to make the lead hole rows and am stuck. Thanks, Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ops that is understandable I've just re read these instructions and they are very rubbish sorry.. Ok in a nut shell I was trying to say knit in pattern till 4 stitches from end of round. Then turn you work round/inside out and work back to the beg of round. Then turn again and repeat till done four times. This leaves a elongated /slit then when it's deep enough x4 for my lead knit whole round including the four previously unworried stitches..this closes the top of the lead hole nicely.. Continue till work /snood is required length... I hope this explains it a bit better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just completed one last night and have started another, as a donation project for rescued Spanish Greyhounds (Galgos) in Barcelona, Spain-- I had a little bit of trouble figuring out the lead hole but eventually did, and I think this second one and all future snoods will work up quickly and easily from here on in-- It turned out very nice, very happy with the pattern! Thank you for posting it for free-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I use circular needles for this pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Use circulars since you are basically knitting a tube--

      Delete
  5. What length of circular needles should I use? Any recommendations as to yarn? (Beginner here, if you didn’t already realize.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to start one tonight for my sweet rescue dog...not a Greyhound, but some combination of spaniels and setters and hound dogs. So I imagine I will have to change up the pattern a bit to accommodate his larger neck and head, but I love how this one looks, and I'm sure it will keep him warm in our very cold winters here in Michigan, USA. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I hope you enjoyed reading my musings