Monday 21 May 2012

knitting mojo gone

So as you can see today was the day that I noticed my knitting mojo had got up and gone... This to some will seem a minor thing... But there are those out there who know quite how rotten this is... Knitting/spinning to me is my Long Drag on a Cigarette or A large G and T... and some more.  Since I taught myself to knit oh 5 years ago its been my constant companion.  It has come everywhere I have gone whether holiday, doc app. or even the cinema and theatre.... What I hear you shout you make that clickety clackety sound in the cinema?  but no I often don't actually knit as the film is on but have found the waiting before it starts a good few rows worth...

Now knitting isn't only about the actual item made though that is very very nice by product... nope for me Knitting is about the feel of the action while doing it, and the feel of the yarn, each yarn feels different and this sensual experience is vital to the overall good feeling knitting produces in me.  Its about the feel of the needles in my hands... this again is so different to my earlier foray into knitting when I started knitting I learnt to knit as my mother and granny did... oxter knitting the act of holding one needle under the armpit (oxter) and the other needle doing all the work... very early on I realised that this wasn't going to be relaxing for me...


 All I need to say is that needles are not long enough for me to be able to use them correctly this way... my womanly upper body makes this too difficult... its also why I can't play pool or snooker they just get in the damn way...lol ... So oxter knitting wasn't going to work so what next... OK so I started to teach myself to knit with the needles down near my lap... this was really alien to me at first but now I love it.... To be brutally honest I have to admit that at first my tension was rubbish and well there was no rhythm but after time i managed it.......


Now I love it, the feel of the needles the yarn passing through my fingers all make me relax and calm......   And if I really want to feel the highest pleasure then I need to pick up a set of double pointed needles and a nice alpaca mix yarn and knit me some socks..... oh just writing this has give me the intense feeling of where's my needles?  lol



So perhaps the mojo isnt lost just a bit put aside with all that's been going on... So I aim to post this blog, finish preparing the Thai infused chicken and jacket potatoes and accompanied by nice fresh salad with green beans.   Cook the dinner and after dinner tonight will be a wee dash of relaxation ie Knitting with ..... oh think I will have a  wee Pink Gin too... nom nom






1 comment:

  1. Funny, that, I have never heard it called oxter knitting. I tried it out the other day as I have some REALLY long needles and I just couldn't relax enough to get a rhythm going, at least not on the 1st try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I hope you enjoyed reading my musings