Thursday 14 June 2012

Torch Saturday

We woke up early.............. well that's slightly untrue I was awake almost all night but Rob did wake before the alarm but that was probably because I was rather fidgety...lol  anyway we were up and into the shared bathroom asap... the person before erm.... either is daft or has a woman sort out all his mistakes normally.... Coz he had not shut the shower correctly and well had used 3 towels to mop up but then hung said towels without squeezing them out over the radiator and they were dripping everywhere.... I was glad rob came in with me else that would have broken my challenge not to do something not allowed before I even had my clothes on lol.   Mary at the B and B was wonderful all giddy with excitement like I was, her son had carried the common wealth games torch a few years previous and she still had his torch and uniform etc. so she understood exactly how I felt .....

The mums came early and we set off for Inverness the weather at Fort William was sunny and we entered less nice weather almost instantly we left but it was promised to improve and well we knew it would.   The traffic was surprisingly good considering all that was going to be happening this weekend in the highlands... there was the world cup in Fort William, Rockness at Lochness, and a round of woman's golf up in Nairn I believe along with the Olympic Torch relay.... busy weekend for one main trunk road... still we were on it early and it was nice and clear..

We made it to Drumnadrochit by mid morning and stopped mainly for a stretch for me... so we took a nice gentle wander around the area and came across the lovely castle centre piece in the gardens...now I am ashamed to say that I have driven past here numerous times and even stopped a far few times in the wee car park to visit the toilets but I have never noticed this up close... I will put a wee picture of mine here but also an image found on Google images so you get to see the detail better my wee camera phone isn't that good at getting lots of the same shade to show up well. and this was all wee succulent plants growing through a framework and looked brilliant.



So after looking in wonder at the cleverness of the gardeners we took a wee rest stop in the local cafe where I drank some lovely "Vale Of Belvoir",  ginger beer, which was needed for the settling of a not so happy tummy but was also so apt as Lindsay and Ann-Marie grew up in the shadow of Belvoir Castle and well it seemed appropriate on this Olympic torch morning....  After refreshments and a stab at the crossword see the photo of the Cooksley brains working hard.... we set off again for Inverness with me navigating with Robs blackberry phone sat nav. app.... Why that one and not my Iphone app I hear you saying... well because my phone is absolutely useless out and about when it has to rely on a phone signal... where as robs ancient blackberry never ever fails...which is a real pain in the proverbial at times I must say.... however we made it into Inverness and the road in also was the road which Lindsay would be running her leg of the relay so we sussed out the route and parking and where would be the place to plonk me and my chair down and went of to find the Theatre as this was Lindsay's rendezvous point with the Olympic relay coach at 2 pm.....


Eden Court Theatre and Cinema complex was just around the corner to Lindsay's relay route so we parked there and went in to see if there was a suitable coffee shop restaurant etc... did we land on our feet or what.  The centre was a very modern looking one and was so welcoming and well we found a bay to sit in and that was it for most of the day we based ourselves there.... Lindsay Chris and Freya arrived about 30 mins later and we sat and had soup/bagettes etc for lunch.... as we finished eating along came Lucy (lindsays adopted sister) with her other family Linday John and Evie and so our support group were assembled.... Lindsay then went off to change into her uniform with Lucy and Evie as hand maidens or possibly calmer down/wind up merchants lol..... We then had time for some pre torch photo's before Lindsay and Chris went off to the Olympic Torch room to get briefed...


The photos show Lindsay and I then Lindsay with Evie, and below that Lindsay was obviously asking for something from Chris her husband...lol then a nice we shot of the both of them with Evie


Seemingly when Evie woke the family up that morning in their motohome she had informed everyone that today was all about Lindsay day.... she will go far I believe...lol




After checking in with the torch room due to the coach being a bit behind schedule Lindsay came back to our wee gathering and we all had another good hour of fun and frivolities laughing and joking but absolutely not letting Lindsay near anything which would definitely stray onto her nice white uniform.... This time was particularly special as we hadn't expected it and so was more treasured than ever for that... Then as we all were disbanding to do things till cheering time Chris called me outside to see Lindsay's coach group boarding the bus..
There were only 16 of them so it was a nice small group of inspiring people and they all got to know each other really well through the course of the afternoon... Lindsay felt really emotional when relating their wonderful journey to the torch relay...

And so it was time for us to go along the road to the route of Lindsay's relay to say I was excited is really not covering it at all... but I managed to let them stop on route for an ice cream and then we were there... I chose a spot not quite at the end of her run because I thought at the beginning once she was gone it was over full stop I wasn't capable of running along side as most of the others were planning to do and thought this way I would see her approaching with the torch and would be able to let rip with my cheering and flag waving to my full ability that way.... The waiting was not long and the outriders came along first these big police motorbikes with their policemen astride they were all waving and smiling and it was a lovely site...one stopped to speak to me and I was beaming with pride when I said it was my daughter who was running this stage, he was really sweet and gave me the advice that I was to enjoy every moment and if I felt like crying it was ok and well he was right...this policeman like all the others both on bikes and running alongside the torch are from the Metropolitan Police force and they were totally awesome, kind, funny, alert and relaxed together and well it was a pleasure to chat with those that I did...these guys were along for the whole torch relay and were definitely enjoying doing something which was mainly a fun event.


Then along came the sponsor vehicles with their staff whipping up a storm of excitment and giving out flags etc....









Here are the Coca cola sponsor staff mobbing Lindsay  one of their future flames... The Coca Cola places were won by people who are working for the future of sport and that was what Lindsay was nominated for... She has done untold amount of work promoting women in Mountain Biking and has also lead ladies only rides at Cowal Walking and Art Festival for the last few years...She is a very active member of Diva Descent which is a female lead group encouraging women in Mountain Biking sport to do more downhill events and with this in mind the Diva Descent group hold special uplift days for women at the various biking trail centres... The hardest thing for women in Mountain biking is there isnt many of them and so they are often over looked but these active group of women are changing this and we are getting to see many more giving it a go and well that is good... so after filling in her mission statement it went to public voting and well there were thousands and thousands who applied and the Coca Cola co-ordinator on the day told Lindsay what a hard fought place she had received... woo hoo Lindsay...



Then she was coming her came the car and coach of the torch relay carriers already run and it was wonderful to have them waving at me and shouting woo hoo Lindsay is coming now... it really brought all my emotion to the surface... and then suddenly I saw Rob charging along to me shouting she is here look her is your girl.... he was choked with emotion and just swollen with pride... and there she was my wonderful bright happy talented daughter running with the Olympic Torch I was jumping up and down shouting cheering and generally being all the mum I am... My dad was with me all through this amazing day he was one of the most brave men I have ever met and he was a sportsman through and through and he was proud too of his wee Lindsay...




Here she was just coming and then she heard me shouting I
think....lol












Then it was the next young lads turn and she was back here with us and wow was I proud... the flame was out in her torch but the flame in lindsay will never be extinguished she will always be passionate about getting more women into sport for the fun and challenges that that brings... well done Lindsay your challenge is really only just starting out and you will continue to be a future flame for women in sport and specifically Mountain Biking.

This may sound like the end but its is very much not Lindsay then was back on to the bus with her fellow runners and we were walking back to the Theatre to await their return..



 Then  the were getting off to all their proud families and supporters...









As the entourage returned guess who spotted me waiting ..........yes the lovely policeman and so he came over shook my hand and well................ gave me a kiss...he was gorgeous and well I am happy and ops Rob even captured the moment ...lol
As the entourage returned guess who spotted me waiting ..........yes the lovely policeman and so he came over shook my hand and well................ gave me a kiss...he was gorgeous and well I am happy and ops Rob even captured the moment ...lol












Then it was time for all the families and supporters to spend time with their very own special Olympic Torch Carrier.  This was a very special time we were all milling around having family photos and also the general public came along and various wee ones had the chance to talk to the Torch Carriers...hold the torch... and even have photos with them...it was very very special...



The following photos are a few of the many lovely wee moments captured and looking you can see the fun love and joy this wonderful event gave each and everyone of us...






Even the wonderful Freya Lindsay and Chris's rescue greyhound had a great day she ran along beside the flame when her mum was carrying it and even had a grand time sitting posing for photos... while we were doing this many other people came over and took photos it was very surreal... but so sweet and she was lapping up the attention....




So my thoughts of this day are very very emotional proud and what fun it was to be part of and event which had started a bit worryingly close to my operation but ended with a family day shared together with hundreds and possible a thousand or two people on the day but which stayed very personal and a privalage... Thanks to the sponsors Cocoa Cola for giving Lindsay her chance and to the many supporters who took the time to vote, thousands of them.  We all loved being part of your future flames and I know Lindsay was very honoured to be one of you Future Flames.


On a final note if you would like to see Lindsay's stage follow this link and you will see it on youtube.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zikbmxNcbyA






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this special moment with us. Hugs, Janis

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw thanks Janis and thank you for reading my wee musings...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments I hope you enjoyed reading my musings